Monday, August 18, 2008

The Turkey Monster

Well, I can't seem to gather my thoughts or get motivated today. It is one of those days where I would love nothing more than to lounge on the couch with a good book or crawl back into bed and sleep all day. I think I remember a time when I was able to do that...anyway, I had a list of things to do today when I woke up this morning and I am ashamed to say that I haven't been able to cross too many of them off the list. Here is what I was supposed to do today:

1. Do the dishes (UGH, I HATE doing the dishes)
2. Get milk and coffee from the store
3. List my old Blackberry on e-bay
4. Do some stuff for the blog
5. Work out
6. Pay bills

OK, now here is what I HAVE done so far today:

1. Went to Dunkin Donuts with my daughter because there was no coffee in the house and played Turkey Monster (more on that later)
2. Went to Target for coffee and milk and walked out with pajamas for Baby Girl and school stuff for Big Boy, thankfully remembering the coffee and milk at the last minute
3. Am currently writing this post and watching Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, Best of Both Worlds--time well spent, don't you think?

So you could say that so far this day has been a bust. However, I have to admit that playing Turkey Monster at Dunkin Donuts was pretty awesome. My daughter is the funniest 2-year-old on the face of the planet, and she does such funny things when we are out. We are sitting there in the dining room of Dunkin Donuts and Baby Girl is eating her ham and swiss flatbread (which she thinks is turkey and cheese). She picks up a piece of the "turkey," looks at me with a twinkle in her eye and proceeds to shove it in her mouth, grunting and growling and shouts out "I am the TURKEY MONSTER!" Of course everyone in the Dunkin Donuts now turns to look at us and everyone is laughing. I laugh myself, and she picks up a piece of turkey and hands it to me. "Mommy, you're a turkey monster too, come on!" She wants me to do it too, which is always the case. She is my little shadow, my little clone; what I do, she does and what she does, she wants me to do. So I pick up the turkey (being the crazy ass mommy that I am) and shove it in my mouth in the same fashion, shrieking "I am the turkey monster!" She laughs hysterically, and all the funny looks and disapproving glances I get from the onlookers are all worth it, because I just love to hear her laugh and make her happy. I would wear my underwear on my head and sing the Star Spangled Banner if it struck her fancy. We played the Turkey Monster game for another ten minutes or so, until all the turkey was gone. It was fantastic.

So, although I haven't been very productive today, I'd say that it wasn't a complete waste, because moments like those with your children are so priceless and precious. And we all have our lazy days where we just can't seem to get going and today is mine. Hopefully I can get off my duff and get some stuff done soon. We'll see. For now I'm gonna watch Hannah Montana.
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821