Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm OK, You're OK, We're All F***ING OK!

Having come to the conclusion that my issues with body image are completely normal (well, normal in the sense that it is not normal, which is normal), I have decided to take some steps to help me stop criticizing myself and start being more supportive of who I am (I'm pretty cool, so why not?). It is proven that positive thoughts about yourself make you feel better about yourself, and vice versa. So why not think more positive thoughts and quit the trash talk? It stands to reason that this should make you like who you are and exude more confidence. Not only that, but when you feel good about yourself, you attract good thoughts from other people, thus perpetuating these fuzzy feel goods. Now, some of you may be thinking this seems a little touchy feely self help-ish, but before we start singing Kumbaya, just think about it for a minute. Don't you think you will be more successful and life would be more blissful if you loved every little piece of yourself and thought you were the shit? I would sure think so. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we all need to become conceited, obnoxious bitches, but a little self-esteem goes a long way. So humor me for a minute and try some of these exercises.

First, every time that you find yourself looking in the mirror and finding flaws that you don't like, instead of saying, "Oh God, I hate my freckles," turn it around and say "I love my freckles!" You can even go so far as to describe how great they are and how everyone loves them. "My freckles are so cute and add such uniqueness to my face." The more you do this, the more you will find that you feel less inclined to say how much you hate them, and you might even forget that you don't like them altogether. When you turn around and catch a glimpse of your bigger than you'd like booty-licious booty, say "My curves are so sexy and they make me feel so womanly." Really try to feel that you believe it, and you might just feel an extra bounce in your step or swing in your hips the next time you walk by the mirror.

OK, next, find the things that you DO like about yourself and make note of them. This is especially hard for me, but after looking long and hard, I can honestly say that I like my eyes, my hands and my boobs. Yup, I admit it, I think my boobs are pretty awesome, as far as real mommy boobs go. So whenever I find myself thinking about the things I need to change, I am going to switch gears and say something about one of my doper attributes. "Gosh darnitt, my eyes sure are pretty!" or "My hands are so delicate and petite!" And last, but not least "God, my ta-tas are particularly round and luscious this morning!" Just thinking about it makes me smile, so I am already on the right track, don't you think? Can you think of a few things that you really like and describe them in detail?

So I challenge you ladies, tell me what you like about yourself. Try it, it feels super!

And if that doesn't work, just point out all the flaws in all the people around you. (Just kidding.)
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821