Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mother of the Year--Who Me?

Growing up, I loved playing with dolls. I always knew I wanted to be a mommy and I would dress them, feed them, bathe them, and love them like they were real little babies. So you can imagine that I was just thrilled when my 2-year-old daughter started showing an interest in playing with baby dolls. Finally! After eight years of superheroes, trucks, wrestling, and Pokemon, I had an honest-to-goodness girly girl to live out all my house-playing fantasies with!

As I observed her playing with her dolls, I was thrilled to see that she had picked up my fantastic motherly instinct and that I was obviously providing a stellar role model as far as motherhood goes. She was so attentive and gentle, giving lots of hugs and kisses and pushing her dollies around in the stroller, talking baby talk and cootchie cootchie coo. She has one baby that actually cries and as soon as she hears those cries, she gets a look of panic and concern and picks her up to rock her and say "It's OK baby, shhhh, it's OK."

Everything was going well in the land of the dolls, until last week when some unusual behavior started to present itself. The first thing that made me a little concerned was this:

As you can see, she is clearly not wearing any pants.

Then there was this:


She was pushing her dolly around in the stroller, cooing and saying sweet things to her, when all of a sudden, she took her out, put her in the kitchen counter, the bottom half of her hanging precariously off the edge and said, "I'll be right back baby. Don't fall."

Now, obviously these mothering techniques were not picked up from me. I swear I am not traipsing around the house with no pants on and leaving the children in dangerous situations. There must be some other influence at play here, and I guess I am going to have to have a serious talk with my little one about appropriate mommy behavior.

Good thing she has at LEAST another 30 years before she is going to get married and have sex for the first time, never mind before becoming a mother...(a mom can dream, can't she?)
 
ss_blog_claim=56a84c4e8749734eb151bee73d0a1821